Skip to main content



Gannett Health Services
110 Ho Plaza
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-3101

Tel: 607 255-5155
Fax: 607 255-0269

Helping a friend

What does it mean to "be a good friend" in a situation that involves an alcohol emergency? Learn more

In case of emergency

♦ ON CAMPUS, call the Cornell Police.

  • 911 from a campus phone
  • 607 255-1111 from a cell or non-campus phone
  • Blue Light Phone or campus emergency phone: lift the receiver or press the button

♦ OFF CAMPUS, call 911

Urgent care

♦ Gannett 24/7 phone consult: 607 255-5155 

Cayuga Medical Center

Transportation options 

More information about what to do in an emergency

HELP! My friend drank too much. 

Calling 9-1-1 for help is not a crime. Learn what to do in an alcohol emergency (and review the Good Samaritan Protocol).



Using emergency contacts

  • If you know you are having a health emergency, dial 911.
    The dispatcher will send an ambulance and police to provide immediate assistance. Charges for taking an ambulance to the hospital in an emergency usually are covered by health insurance. If your health problem is not an emergency, transportation by ambulance may not be covered and is quite expensive. Taxis and buses are available.
  • If you are uncertain whether a situation is an emergency or requires an ambulance or other medical intervention, call 911 or 607 255-1111 for the Cornell University Police.
  • In a non-emergent situation, call 607 255-5155
    to speak with Gannett’s on-call health care provider who can advise you about whether, when, and where to seek assistance.

Blue Light or campus emergency phones

If you use a Blue Light or campus emergency phone, the location of the phone you are using will simultaneously be displayed on the Cornell Police switchboard, so help will immediately be sent to that location, whether or not you are able to communicate with the dispatcher. (See video about how the Blue Light system works.)

Emergency responders

Your call for an on-campus emergency will be responded to immediately by police, fire, and emergency medical providers, including Cornell University Emergency Medical Service, Environmental Health and Safety, and Bangs Ambulance

Crisis managers

In an emergency involving a student, the Cornell University Police will contact the Cornell Crisis Manager who will coordinate the University's assistance to all those affected by the emergency. If you have relevant information to share with the Crisis Manager (e.g., observations about the incident; information about friends, family, or other contacts; concerns about bystanders; etc.), please call the Cornell Police (607 255-1111) and ask to speak with the Crisis Manager (available 24/7).

Other assistance

  • for undergraduate students living in residence halls—
    Residential Programs: 607 255-5533
  • for graduate and professional students living in Cornell housing—Office of Graduate and Professional Student Housing: 607 255-5368
  • for assistance for students living off-campus and in fraternities and sororities, contact the Dean of Students Office (607 255-1115) or the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs (607 255-2310).
  • Cayuga Medical Center Emergency Department: 607 274-4411
  • Empathy, Assistance, and Referral Service: 607 255-EARS (5-3277). EARS offers free and confidential nonjudgmental, short-term counseling by trained student volunteers. 
  • Suicide Prevention and Crisis Service: 607 272-1616. SPCS is a community agency which offers a free, confidential, 24-hour telephone hot-line service.

Print this resource

Help Available 24/7

Assisting others in distress

It's not an emergency, but you are concerned about someone's words, affect, behavior, well-being? Help is available here.