Gannett Health Services
110 Ho Plaza
Ithaca, NY 14853-3101
Tel: 607 255-5155
Fax: 607 255-0269
Gannett Health Services' Occupational Medicine (OM) collaborates with the Office of the Vice Provost for Research and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety to:
- Support the university's research mission, and
- Prevent occupational and environmental injury and illness among members of the Cornell campus community, including students, faculty, and staff.
With a focus on health protection, OM uses individual and population based strategies to mitigate the harmful health effects of hazardous exposures which may occur in the course of education, research, and university support activities. When injuries and illnesses cannot be prevented, the OM team delivers medical consultations and clinical services to identify and manage cases, minimize disability, and enhance health and productivity.
Who we are and what we do
The Occupational Medicine team at Gannett consists of medical and nursing professionals with certifications and training in occupational medicine, internal medicine, public health, hearing conservation, and spirometry.
We provide employees with a wide range of services related to occupational medicine at Cornell. These services include:
- pre-placement physicals and immunizations for workers in designated risk areas
- care for work-related injuries covered by Workers' Compensation
- the monitoring of work-related health issues on campus through screening and surveillance of employees in positions involving certain exposures (loud noise, biological agents, hazardous chemicals, etc.)
We provide prompt evaluation and treatment of work-related injuries-generally the same day of the injury:
- convenient follow up visits for continued injury care
- x-ray services on site
- pharmacy on site
- physical therapy services on campus
- referrals for further diagnostic tests or specialist services as necessary
- coordination with ergonomics professionals and workers compensation experts
- respirator clearance
- hepatitis B immunizations
- hearing conservation (annual hearing tests)
- lead surveillance (blood tests for lead)
- hazmat physical exams
- Pre-placement physical exams
- Medical monitoring programs for workers exposed to animals or to hazardous substances such as chemicals, or biologic agents
- Immunizations against potential workplace hazards such as tetanus, rabies, rubeola, hepatitis B
- Medical consultation on work-related health and safety issues
Occupational Medicine coordinates services...
...at Cornell with:
- Office of the Vice Provost for Research
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Musculoskeletal Injury Prevention Program
- Workers' Compensation and Disability Services
- Human Resources
...in Ithaca and Upstate New York with:
- Central New York Occupational Health Clinical Center (SUNY Upstate Medical University)
- Finger Lakes Occupational Health Services (University of Rochester)
- Tompkins County Health Department
- New York State Health Department
When there's an injury on the job...
- Notify the appropriate supervisor.
- Complete an accident report.
- Get proper medical treatment.
- Call Gannett (607 255-6960) for urgent care or for a same-day appointment for your work-related injuries. For medical emergencies, look at these emergency contact numbers and call for help immediately.
- If initial injury care is received at an emergency room or from another provider, follow-up visits can be scheduled with Gannett's Occupational Medicine Office by calling 607 255-6960.
Please print the appropriate form in ink (no pencil) and mail completed info to Occupational Medicine. See address below.
- Authorization for releasing, discussing, or obtaining protected health information (pdf)
- Authorization for Releasing, or Obtaining Rabies and Hepatitis B Information for the College of Veterinary Medicine (pdf)
- Authorization for Releasing, or Obtaining Rabies and Hepatitis B Information for other individuals or organizations (pdf)